As I biked across the 14th street bridge yesterday morning I suddenly
became aware that the normally bustling bridge was completely void of
cars. How unusual. Then I saw a lone policeman on his motorcycle
approaching, lights flashing. He lacked the urgency of one headed to an
accident scene, so I suspected the next most likely thing in D.C.- a
motorcade. A motorcade! They will never cease to be exciting to me. I
pulled over my bike.
The motocop kept looking over his shoulder, as if he
were waiting for something. Indeed, he was waiting for his cronies. Two
more motorcycle-police approached. Next came
a whole troop of motocops, with lights and sirens wailing. I was having a
blast. See, they are riding in formation! Look how, when I wave
timidly, they completely ignore me! They are not on parade they are in a motorcade. It must be unprofessional to wave while you're in a motorcade. At last I
could see the escortee: tour buses. I really wished that I could see the occupants of the buses but they had darkly tinted windows. Well, that's
nice, I thought. It's Police Week and I'll bet the attendees must be headed to some event
in Arlington. Maybe at the Pentagon? That's great that they get
escorted by their fellow policemen.
Other bicyclists wizzed past me and I wondered, don't
they notice that an exciting motorcade is passing?? Why am I the only
nerd to stop and watch this thing? The show ended and I pedaled on my
way.
Not five minutes later, the whole scene was repeated in
front of the Washington Monument. I was joined by more and more
cyclists as we waited for the second tour-bus motorcade (also headed to Virginia) to clear the intersection. I
could hear another cyclist explaining what Police Week was to the man
next to him. As they passed in front of the sun, I looked to see the
silhouettes of the people inside- but with the sun glinting through I
could see that the buses were empty! No passengers. Now why would they
create multiple significant traffice disruptions to escort empty tour buses a la
motorcade?
It is so odd! But I've figured it out. All those
motocops were supposed to be riding inside the buses. But of
course, what cop would opt for a seat in a bus when they have the option
to ride on a motorcycle and wear cool sunglasses instead? So.. they
were escorting themselves. Ha, those clever cops.
Brilliant! When we are rich and famous, or when we become cops in another life, let's escort ourselves too :)... This made my morning. Thank you for being such a diligent writer these days- I love the way you write, Tals (and the subjects you choose to write about).
ReplyDelete