My surprise was compounded when I saw the face of my tormentor. The officer was an elderly woman, and she was driving a minivan. Not your typical law-enforcement image.
"Your bike lights aren't bright enough!" she told me. "Oh." I wasn't sure what to say. Did that really merit a siren? I considered telling her that I didn't have any bike lights, but thought better of it. There must be some ordinance in Arlington that requires cyclists to have bike lights. She went on for a bit, and then concluded, "Other than that, you're doing everything right. Thanks for wearing a helmet!" With that, she smiled and drove away.
And that, folks, is my first experience getting pulled over on my bike, and my first experience with a police grandma driving a cop minivan. Of all the police, the police grandmas must be my favorites.
Whaha! I would LOVE to meet granny cop! What time of day was it? Perhaps if I time it just right.... ;)
ReplyDeleteA friend at BYU used to try to get speeding tickets going down hill just north of Alpine... never did see a cop at the right time.
Love this story! Thanks for sharing it and thanks for wearing a helmet. Saftey first. ;)
ReplyDeleteYES!! A post from Tali! Grandma cop must have been oh so bored to actually "pull you over." Oh dear. And that's terrible about the UPS guy. My prayers definitely are going out to him. Keep up the blogging...it makes me so very happy to hear from you!
ReplyDeleteNice story! I can totally picture it! We need to talk soon! I leave for Uganda in about 40 days. :)
ReplyDeleteHa Ha. That's funny. They told me on my mission that Florida state law required bike lights. I was kinda surprised that you didn't have any. So good to hear something from you! Oh, and even though it says this is from Brian, it's really Devri. I didn't feel like logging out.
ReplyDeleteThis reminds me of when my companion and I got pulled over on our bikes in Malaysia just out of pure curiosity on the part of the policemen. They used flashing lights and a mega phone. We ended up almost going to jail for failing to have our passports with us. So, it wasn't quite as friendly of an encounter.
ReplyDelete