Wednesday, July 10, 2013

breaking down barriers/ a new low, or alternatively, a new high

Want to know what I did on the 4th of July? I'll tell you. I visited Boston! We saw historic sites and took tours and watched street performers and ate yummy food and generally had a smashing American good time.

It was pretty hot. Want to know what I did to cope with the burning sun and the stifling heat? I'll tell you. I used my umbrella! (I called it a parasol.)

Some friends preferred that I walk at a distance from them. Others wanted to get underneath the umbrella with me. The only others who had brought their own umbrellas were the Asians.

Those Asians know how to celebrate the 4th properly, while the bulk of America exercised their freedom to get skin cancer.

Perhaps I reached a new low. All I need to complete the image of hopeless eccentricity is a fanny pack. (I wouldn't rule those out. They are quite practical.) But I prefer to see myself as a pioneer. A trend setter! A leader! I bravely and stoically flaunt what the Too-Cool wouldn't be caught dead with, and in so doing liberate myself from the shackles of style and normal behavior. Won't you follow me?

1 comment:

  1. I will most definitely follow you. I'll start the trend for us non-Asians here in Houston while you keep it up there on the east coast :)

    ReplyDelete

Does anyone still blog?

Today I remembered that I have this blog. It took some searching, but I eventually managed to pull it up again. It was fun to read some of t...